10.20.2015

alternate endings

I wrote this poem a few days ago, but can't decide what to do with the end. here are both versions. just because.

version #1

***

survivor's guilt

it's something I
     cannot fathom
being a survivor
                 of you.
when I
           inadvertently
                               encounter
            a photo
            of you and
                        your latest
            victim
I do not feel sad
        that I got
             out,
        that I survived
               and she might not.
instead I think
                to myself
I'm so glad
that it's someone
else in the fire
and not me.

***
version #2

***

survivor's guilt

it's something I
     cannot fathom
being a survivor
                 of you.
when I
           inadvertently
                               encounter
            a photo
            of you and
                        your latest
            victim
I do not feel sad
        that I got
             out,
        that I survived
               and she might not.
instead I think
                to myself
better
        her
            than
                  me.

No comments: