9.25.2013

sri vyasa puja 2013

this past saturday was the vyasa puja celebration for my guru maharaj. here is the offering I made to him this year...


Dearest Srila Guru Maharaj,

Please accept my obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada. All glories to you on this auspicious day.

I have always been proud that you are a very personable guru. In my self-centered and egotistical mind I have always thought how awesome is it that you aren’t like those other “big” gurus that seem unapproachable. You are very approachable and relatable. I’ve come to realize that this is actually your secret preaching weapon – people are naturally drawn to you, and subsequently to Krishna, because they feel like they can talk to you and ask you anything. I have noticed that over the past few years more and more people are coming to programs and the temple – and Krishna Consciousness in general – because of you! Either they met you in India on a tour, or at a talk at a yoga studio, or through a friend – but in the end, they are coming because of you.
Here is my confession: When I first started noticing this influx of new friends, followers, and admirers I was immediately jealous. I am such a self-centered, egotistical jerk that I was thinking, “Who are these people? What do they know?” Can you believe it? I am so childish and immature that instead of realizing that you are doing some of the best and most effective preaching around, all I can think about is myself. Guru Maharaj, please forgive my horrible and offensive mind. It’s so embarrassing!
I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and after stepping away from the idea of myself as the center, and really watching you interact with people who are new to Krishna Consciousness I am proud in a different way. I see that everyone is seeing in you what I see: a true guru – a kind and caring teacher who selflessly gives knowledge without regard for his own comfort or benefit. You are truly following in your Guru Maharaj’s footsteps and carrying on his mission. Thank you for always living Srila Prabhupada’s “simple living, high thinking” tenet – for walking your talk, and practicing what you preach. Without your example, I would have nothing to work towards. Without you, I would have nothing.

Always your servant,
Kadamba Mala devi dasi

his holiness srila dhanurdhara swami
photo by lenny zimkus/govardhana lal das

No comments: