12.21.2011

gifting

tonight my daughter madhavi, who is almost ten, received a gift from a friend. when she opened it she expressed some disappointment. she said, "well, it's not that I don't like it. I just thought it would be something else." when I looked back at her, I noticed that the friend had included the gift receipt. naturally I suggested that she could take it back and get something else if she didn't like the gift. her response was so logical and human that I felt like I had to share it. she said, "but it doesn't feel right to take it back. I feel like if I take it back then getting the gift is all about me. it's all about what I want, and not that [my friend] wanted to give me something she thought I would like. it feels kind of rude to take it back." such an interesting meditation during this season of "giving". it's about the giving, right? not the receiving. how often do we forget that sentiment when we open up something we don't really like/want - and then worse yet regift. ok, ok, I don't mean to sound like a snob who has never regifted - but I guess when I really think about it, it's kind of... weird? not in the spirit of the season? I don't know. I guess it's just some food for thought.

madhavi performing at her school winter solstice showcase

2 comments:

glal said...

at the concert did she say i caant sing but i can chaant?

k.mala gutierrez said...

mmm. no. she can actually sing.