12.13.2011

doin'-it-myself from pinterest and the art of uncrafting

I spend a disgusting amount of time on pinterest. I could sit for hours (ok, not 'could', but 'do'!) just scrolling through the 'everything' page. and while I lol to myself at all the witty little quote pins, the ones that catch my eye are the diy pins. I repin bunches of projects and sometimes feel like just by repinning them I've somehow completed them. haha! but really, I repin them with every intention of some day actually doin'-them-myself! so I'm so excited that I've done not only one, but two diy projects found through pinterest.

first up is this little nail-art beauty...


the original pin comes from a french nail loving site. the french tutorial can be found here. but basically the directions go something like this: 1. put on nail polish and let dry. 2. dip fingernail in alcohol-basically any will do, vodka is suggested. 3. press a strip of newspaper big enough to cover the whole nail on to your alcohol soaked nail. 4. pull off slowly and be really impressed with yourself. 5. paint top coat if desired.


I've been wanting to try this forever. my husband even bought me a tiny mini-bar size bottle of vodka like months ago because I had mentioned it. so I finally got around to it today. I have to say - it really works! instead of using just a regular newspaper, I used pages from this teen poetry journal called teen ink. that just makes it extra hip. I have to admit, though, my impatience was detrimental to the process. when it says to let your nails dry - they have to be dry. like wait several hours dry. I waited like twenty minutes. yea, not really dry. so when I put the newsprint on some of the paper stuck. fooey. but then I painted a little bit of glittery grey over the tips and now they look kinda dirty-newsprint-deconstructed. very boho. but next time I'll wait and do it right.






the second project I did was a super cute felt tree ornament. the original tutorial can be found on julia crossland's blog. this is what julia's version looked like...




when I saw this I thought, hmm, how hard could this be? it's just circles!! uh, yea. have I ever mentioned how uncrafty I am?! okok, mine didn't come out that bad - but still, even cutting circles can be a challenge for me. I followed the suggestion to use a ramekin to make the initial template, and then for each layer just cut it down a little bit. but yea, mine doesn't look like hers. 




I'm actually making three of these - one for me and two as gifts. I even considered just buying one - since target made one with a similar concept...


I didn't buy it though - this one is on my friend traci's tree


but I sucked it up and decided to make it myself. and as I was cutting and forming a blister on my thumb from a my very uncomfortable sewing scissors, I was thinking to myself about whether or not crafting is a skill that gets better with practice, or either you're good at it or not. I think I'm good and not being good at it. I don't really craft. I uncraft. so raise your hands if you're like me - you suck so bad at crafting that you're good at being bad! and welcome to the uncrafting movement. I don't know exactly what that means. but it sounds like a good idea. haha!

2 comments:

├ůsa said...

I think you are being unfair to yourself -what do you mean uncrafting, that tree is so cute! And I kind of want to try those nails too. Now we all have a good reason to have some vodka in the house. ;)

traci said...

we need a girls craft night in!!!!!!