10.12.2011

books, reading and writing

I finally finished reading Holy Cow by Sarah MacDonald! honestly, it wasn’t nearly as painful to read as I make it sound. it's a good book – entertaining, and relatively engaging – there was just something about it that didn’t keep me tied to it, which is why it took me over a year (how embarrassing!) to read. there is something in me that wants to love memoir/memoir-esque books – maybe because they’re so trendy? – but I just don’t. or it’s not that I don’t love them, or like them, but they just don’t hold my interest. I think I already said this in a past post – but reading Holy Cow reminded me a lot of reading Eat, Pray, Love – I wanted to love it the way other women were loving it – but I just didn’t. I couldn’t relate. it was just ok. in the end, I’m kind of just glad to have it off my mind and list of things to do.

I’m taking a little break from long readings right now. because I’m an english/literature teacher, I’m reading things for work almost all of the time. for my college level class I’m currently reading Hamlet. it's actually the first time I’m ever reading it – I know. I know! I was a little scared at first – not because I was thinking it would be bad, but, I don’t know, Shakespeare can be a little intimidating sometimes. I’m only through Act I, and I’m already in love – not just with the play, but with the Hamlet character. oh, so brooding, and dark, and goth! love him! if only it wasn’t mel gibson playing him in the movie version… I guess at least it’s the young, kind of hot mel gibson… not the old, crazy crinkly mel gibson.


I'm also about to start reading The Lovely Bones with my delinquents. but I've read it already, and I only read it in class with them... so I don't even really count it as something I'm reading...

a good friend gifted me a book of poetry by Philip Schultz. she had listened to an interview with him on npr and was fascinated by his story of illiterate-dyslexic-turned-pulitzer-prize-winning-poet. I have to agree – it’s quite a story! and his poems are fantastic. he writes in a narrative persona story, so mostly his poems feel like stories instead of poems. it’s a nice, relaxed and unintimidating style. I usually don’t read books of poetry from beginning to end. I’m more of a flipper – like just open to any random page and read. but I thought I would approach this one differently. so I am reading Failure starting at the beginning – and just in little bits. it definitely feels like less pressure to read a poem or two a day (they’re all relatively short) than trudging through a novel while I’m reading ten other things for work.
I’m also trying to get my little butt writing more too. it's just silly that I don’t write more. silly. a while back I started reading Poemcrazy by Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge. it's basically a book of writing meditations and practices. the chapters are short and at the end of each one there is a suggestion or prompt for writing. I’m only thirty or so pages into it, but I figured that while I’m taking a little hiatus from reading bigger things that now would be a good time to read a chapter a day (or something like that, no promises) and do some writing in my calendar-journal. sometimes I will share some of the writing here. why not?

the chapter I read today was called “our real names” and explored the significance of names – something I am fascinated with. anywho, the prompt gave a few beginning lines – and I liked the idea of filling in non-traditional, self-reflective names. here's what I wrote…


yesterday my name was tired.
today my name is recovering.
tomorrow my name will be exhausted.

secretly I know my name is restless
impatience.
my name was once too much
in the past,
reminiscent reminiscence.

No comments: