9.10.2011

ten years later.



on the eve of september the eleventh, I am thinking about where I was ten years ago. I was five months pregnant with my daughter madhavi, living the life of a nyc commuter. I was working my first (and only!) job in the world of publishing at 2 Penn Plaza - in the heart of nyc. I worked an 11-7 shift - so the morning of september 11, 2001 when the first plane hit the world trade center, I wasn't even on my way to work yet. I remember it very clearly - I was on my way to do a quick load of laundry at suds'nduds in cranford, driving down north avenue, listening to the radio. I remember the guy on the radio reporting the crash, but at the time it didn't seem like such a big deal - everyone thought it was just an accident. and then the second plane hit. by the time I got home and turned on the tv, both towers were in flames. I was still listening to the radio when I got home and heard countless calls from people stuck in the upper floors of the towers begging for help. I remember calling my boss at work and telling her I wasn't sure if I was going to make it in - they had, after all, already closed all of the bridges and tunnels getting into the city. she was a beast, and I remember her being angry. little did she know.
and then the towers crumbled. and everything was so surreal for days afterward.
I didn't go back to work that week. and when I did go back we had several bomb scares. my building was directly above Penn Station - a likely target.
september 11, 2001 changed so many lives. for me, it helped me realize how important life was - way too important to be stuck working in corporate hell - hence why that was my one and only miserable jaunt in publishing.
ten years later, I look back at the me of then, think about the me of today. it's so weird how things can change simultaneously in an instant and so slowly over time.
my prayer is for a reflective and uneventful september 11, 2011.

No comments: