8.12.2011

what I'm watching: dance moms on lifetime

I really love tv. like really. I remember when I first started hanging around with the Hare Krishnas I was told that tv is "maya". I even gave up watching tv for a little while during the fanatical late-90s. craziness, I know.

these days I'm watching lots of mindless, nonsensical crap tv. it's one of my only vices, and to be honest, I feel no need to be apologetic about it. tv is my escape from reality. I like to turn off my brain regularly. you know, so it can rest and regenerate. or something.

I thought it would be fun to start a little series called "what I'm watching". not necessarily to review/critique each show...but to... well, ok, I don't know what the purpose is. I guess just for fun.

let's start with one of the most fascinating shows on tv right now - dance moms on lifetime.
my daughter, madhavi, used to do competitive dance - so I totally understand the whole "dance mom" scene -except the moms at Abby Lee Dance Company are f'ing crazy. I can assure you that I was never like any of those moms, nor were any of the moms of the other dancers like that. I can, however, totally believe that these women are being for real. because you can't fake crazy like these women are crazy. it's entertaining, nontheless. Abby is unreasonable, Christi is always drunk, and Cathy (as one of my friends said) is way too Sandy Dunken. the poor little girls are, well, just little girls. the moms are the real entertainment (cat fights galore!) - and the dancers just make me sad. like, come on, Brooke just wants to be a cheerleader. one of my favorite lines came after she got hit in the face with her strange looking loli-pop prop: "if I was in cheerleading, I'd never get hit in the face with a pompom."

a few other quotable gems:

"I love dancing. I also love eating potato chips."

"Your legs are about as straight as Elton John!"

and as one of the moms commented on the inappropriateness of a costume and choreography, "they look like prostitots!"

if that doesn't entice you to watch, I don't know what will!

3 comments:

Devadeva Mirel said...

oh i wish we could hang out in real life and watch dance moms and rhonj and chitty chat about it! grrrr i wanted to move to nj but my husband didn't and now look! i am in alachua where everyone watches bollywood movies and i have no one to talk to. brooke's mom ruined her dance career by cheering. she could have gone on to the big time! cirque de soleil!!!

Scissors and Spice said...

I just finished 17 Kids and Counting series. I'm 2 years behind in TV because I watch everything on ROKU.

Jayadeva said...

Just see.