8.17.2011

still reading


I'm still reading Holy Cow by Sarah MacDonald. I don't know why it's taking me so long. ok, that's not true - I do know. it's taking me so long because I'm not reading it! I guess what I meant was I don't know why I'm not reading it. it's good, don't get me wrong. I like it because she's spot-on in describing India and Indian culture - in such a way that if you've never been to India before, you would think she was exaggerating. but I don't know - something about it isn't keeping me engaged. it reminds me a lot of when I read Eat, Pray, Love. I wanted to love that book so bad, because, well, everyone loved it. but I just couldn't relate. I wasn't a middle-aged-divorcee going through a mid-life crisis. maybe that was it. and in this case, much of what MacDonald writes is about her spiritual journey. maybe that's it. maybe I'm just not relating to her in that way.
in any case, I'm more than half way through with it, and I'm determined to finish it. I hate starting books and not finishing them. I did that with two books before starting this one - and I just hate it. I'm going to do it. I just wish I would hurry the heck up about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why shove it down your throat if it's not 'gripping" you?

k.mala gutierrez said...

well, it's not bad, so I don't feel like I'm shoving it down my throat, per say. I guess at this point I feel like it's an exercise in finishing what I started.