6.17.2011

reflections on the 30/30 and looking ahead

it's been more than thirty days since the 30/30. I loved doing the 30/30, even though I didn't love everything I produced. I decided to embrace the process, regardless of whether I would like the poems I wrote or not. someone once asked me for advice about getting rid of writer's block (why she asked me, I don't know...) and I told her that sometimes in order to get to the good stuff we have to vomit out and purge the crap out of our brains. I kind of took the 30/30 like that - a way to sometimes just go through the motions, to sometimes play, and to sometimes reach down deep into the sand and hope for the best. I definitely wrote a some poems that I like, some that I love, and quite a few that I don't like one bit.

where to go from here? I'm quite sad that once the 30/30 was over I pretty much fell off the face of the writing-sphere. I want to be writing everyday, though I know that's not always practical. so I need to make a compromise with my self. I think I'll start, in earnest, a little conservatively and say I want to blog/write at least twice a week.

and as most writers know, to make good writing, one must read. if you have't already noticed I have two books on my "on the nightstand list". I've been reading Holy Cow for almost a year now. that's kind of ridiculous. so I'll also say that I need to vamp up my reading schedule and read at least three days a week.

two really good goals, I think. two that go hand-in-hand and will feed each other. yes.

please stay tuned. summer is here, gita is becoming less dependent on my every waking hour (kind of), husband is home (ahh, the teacher life!) - more freedom to come! don't give up on me.

No comments: