4.29.2011

30/30: day twenty-nine: paradelle for billy collins

day twenty-nine prompt: Briefly research a poetic form of your choice and write a poem according to the rules of that particular form.

I've decided to do a paradelle, which is a form invented by Billy Collins via his poem 'Paradelle for Susan'.

paradelle for billy collins

you're so smart and funny I can barely stand it.
you're so smart and funny I can barely stand it.
I told my students I want to marry you.
I told my students I want to marry you.
I can barely stand it I want to marry you.
you're so smart and funny I told my students.

you, in your v-neck sweaters.
you, in your v-neck sweaters.
if I can't marry you, I'll marry one of your poems instead.
if I can't marry you, I'll marry one of your poems instead.
instead, if one of your v-neck sweaters I can't marry - you -
your poems I'll marry, you.


I think it is your dead pan humor
I think it is your dead pan humor
that acts like a pick-up line
that acts like a pick-up line
it acts like a pick-up line, I think
that it is dead pan, your humor.

I told my students you in your v-neck sweaters
I can barely stand it - like a pick-up line,
you're so smart and funny, I think if I can't marry you
you, dead, pan, poems, instead.
I'll marry one, it is that acts - your humor.
of your.

No comments: