4.01.2011

30/30: day one - /fool/


good day and good morning and happy poetry month! in honor of this grand occasion, Write Bloody Publishing is doing a 30/30 challenge - 30 poems in 30 days. every day one of the Write Bloody authors will give a writing prompt and the mission is to write a poem in response... what fun! so I'm going to go for it. I hope I can do all 30 days and not slack. so here's today's prompt courtesy of Cristin O’Keefe Aptowicz:

APRIL FOOL
Everyone’s past is filled with fools: the shallow, the mean, the self-centered, the petty, the vain, the cruel, the willfully stupid. It being April’s Fools Day, it’s time to celebrate them. Write a poem where you present a gift to a specific selection of Fools from your past. Each gift should perfect fit with the fool — be detailed & specific in your descriptions, and grand in your presentation of your gifts for them. Kill ‘em with kindness.

I don't think my poem totally follows the guidelines - but I don't care. I'm just loving the process!

*     *     *

fool

I was a baby fool
toddler fool
elementary fool
awkward pre-pubescent fool
angry angst-filled teenager fool
won't-listen-to-anybody-know-it-all college fool
a fool in love
a fallen-out-of-love fool
a new love fool
a twenty-something fool
a pregnant fool
a mother fool
an I-wish-I-knew-then-what-I-know-now-fool,
now, a wiser fool - 
ready to pass it on,
run faster,
hand the baton
to the next fool.

No comments: