12.26.2010

this is not a cooking blog!

I haven't been around for a while because of this:

yes, gita govinda has been here for almost seven months now... but her neediness is still unrelenting, so there hasn't been much time for blogging. I have some ideas in my mind of posts I want to make and how I'd like this blog to play out. over all, what I want most is to be writing. I miss it so much.

anywho, a few days ago I posted on facebook that I had made my good friend Devadeva's (of the Sabjimata world) faux chikki soup for dinner. I had a few requests for the recipe (one from Sabjimata herself!) to post the recipe. the original print out I have from her isn't really organized like a traditional recipe - it's more like just a list of ingredients, so I've gone ahead and put it together in the order that I thought made the most sense and with the process of how I make it. I hope it is clear and that it works out for you. it's really quite delicious! though I do want to mention that this surely isn't a cooking blog and I'm surely not a superduper cook... so don't blame me if it comes out weird. :)

Sabjimata’s Faux Chikki Soup

Here’s what you’ll need:
1-2 Tbsp Olive oil or Butter
1 tsp Hing
¼ tsp Black Pepper
2Tbsp Mustard Powder
2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
7 C Water or Veg. Stock
1-2 Carrots diced
1-2 Stalks of Celery (including greens) diced
Crumbled tofu or paneer or tvp (you can do this to taste – I use about half to one whole block of tofu that is has either been frozen and thawed or pressed for a few hours)
2 ½ Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
2-3 Tbsp Braggs
Pasta or Rice (I’ve used no-egg pastina stars, orzo, alphabets, and broken thick spaghetti - but here’s a good place to experiment)
1 ½ - 2 tsp Salt, or to taste
You can also add other vegetables – Devadeva suggested spinach, so I always throw in some fresh baby spinach at the very end.

1. Heat the oil and chaunce all of the spices. Add the vegetables and saut̩ for a moment Рthen add the tofu and do the same.
2. Add the water/stock and then stir in the nutritional yeast and Braggs.
3. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 15-20 mins, or until the veggies are not quite done – kind of still firm.
4. Add in the pasta of your choosing. Simmer for another 7ish minutes. If you are thinking to do rice, I would recommend cooking the rice separately and then adding it at the very end.
5. The last thing I would do here is add my fresh baby spinach. Then salt to taste.
6. Offer to the Gods, and then enjoy.

1 comment:

Devadeva Mirel said...

i will definitely try this!