3.27.2009

quotable

I'm not really a "quote" person, but I came across this one last year. It was on a handout that the counselor who I work with put out for our character education program. The same handout appeared in my in-box this afternoon. April's "character trait" is responsibility. This quote really spoke to me - and it is also from my favorite counseling theorist, Albert Ellis, who was the catalyst behind REBT (rational emotive (cognitive) behavioral therapy).



"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny."



I thought this was a particularly great shot of Dr. Ellis from the late 40s. Quite dramatic!

2 comments:

Jayadeva said...

That's a great quote about responsibility. How transformative our consciousness becomes when we stop blaming the externals for our suffering. We always want to look at the externals and say, "It's because of that person that I'm unhappy! It's because I don't have this thing that I'm unhappy! It's because of this situation that I'm unhappy!" We're constantly looking for something to blame and be angry at, even Krishna, when in reality we've created our own suffering by identification with the temporary body and mind. We truly are our own worst enemy.

Tulasi said...

ditto