5.26.2008

rice karma: my husband says it's because god hates me.


help, people. no matter what I do, I cannot make brown rice. I know, this seems stupid, trival. but I just want to eat some whole grains, is that so much to ask??? seriously, I just have horrible rice karma. regular white basmati usually comes out ok - though even that sometimes doesn't work in my favor. but brown rice... oh, the tragedy of brown rice. I've tried everything. and I mean everything. I've followed the directions on the back of the bag to a tee. I've tried to vary the directions. I've tried different varieties - short grain, long grain, basmati, organic, conventional - all to no avail. I even bought a rice cooker, thinking I was just stove-top challenged. but no, it either burns, doesn't cook, or comes out like baby mush. does any one have any advice, words of wisdom? please help!!!

5 comments:

sunflower eyes said...

I buy mine pre-cooked from Trader Joes. 3 minutes in the microwave & perfect!

kiriti dasi said...

i use to work with a woman who had the same karma. try using a little less water. 1c rice to 1 3/4c water. bring to boil. then cook on low covered for 40 min. when done shut off stove but leave the pot on the same burner with the lid half on for like 5-10 min. if this doesn't work jayadeva's right god must hate you. oh yea this recipe is for org. short grain brown rice. good luck.

kmala said...

hahahahaha, actually, I found some good advice in saveur magazine today. they say that most bag-rice directions suck. they say brown rice should be treated like pasta and gave some nice directions. I'm going to try them tomorrow and see what happens...

and beth, that's cheating! :)

Devadeva Mirel said...

wash, soak, bengali boil: don't do the ratio water to rice method. get a big ol' pot of water boiling, throw in your rice and check back occasionally to see when it is done. should be slightly al dente. dump in colander, cover with lid to continue to steam.

and before you decide god hates you (or have that decided for you by your husband and friends) buy a freakin' rice cooker, you rice cooker!!!!

kmala said...

that's so funny you said that - because it's exactly the directions saveur gave. I'm cooking it up right now. I'll let you know how it comes out...
and I tried a rice cooker - it kept burning the rice so I took it back. I can burn right by myself, I don't need a machine to do it for me.