4.01.2008

pleasure


it is human nature to seek pleasure. that's what we do... move our worlds in such a way so that we can feel good, enjoy. pleasure isn't always pleasurable, though. I know, it sounds kind of weird, but it's so true. take addictions for example. we seek pleasure through something that might be sometimes painful. there is that whole modes of nature analogy (pain the beginning, pain the end), which I think is from bhagavad-gita, that helps to illustrate how the only happiness comes from the mode of goodness - which, when described comes down to serving Krishna purely.
hmmm.
so, I was thinking about this today and wondering why I always seek things that I think will make me happy, but in the end just make me miserable. I don't know why. I have yet to find anything - anything - that I truly feel satisfied with, even in Krishna-consciousness. all I have is faith. faith that one day everything I have heard will manifest - that one day I will be attracted to chanting Hare Krsna - that I will do it, attentively and with love. that I will stop wanting to be everything, and just want to be a lover of Sri Krishna (and by that I mean "one who loves" - not in the gross sense).
but until then, what to do? just feel like a loser, I guess.

5 comments:

sunflower eyes said...

Very interesting. You should read/listen to Stumbling on Happiness. It's all about how we all fail to accurately predict what will make our future selves happy. I believe I have it on CD somewhere. If you are interested, I can mail it to you (since I'm done with it).
-Beth :)

kmala said...

hmmm, who is it by? I would probably be more likely to read it than listen. I tend to zone out when I listen to books on tape and then miss half of what is being said.

sunflower eyes said...

Beth Hager. Sorry Kara, I LOVE your blog! We have so much in common as perpetual students/perfectionists struggling to balance it all. You remind me that I'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed, inspired, and maladaptively ambitious.

kmala said...

hahah, no, silly, I meant who is the book by? ;) I know who you are!

sunflower eyes said...

(blushing) whoops. I thought you might not recognize my m&m self and clearly I didn't read & comprehend your comment. The perils of multitasking. Ha!
The author is Daniel Gilbert.