2.22.2008

bestest birthday ever.

in case you didn't know, today is my birthday. it started off super-good because it snowed and I didn't have to go to work at all! I stayed in bed until...hmmm...like almost 11am (sick right?), but I really needed the rest. I pretty much spent most of the rest of the day doing absolutely nothing. what better way to spend a birthday?
I had asked my husband to get me this very simple pendant of Srimati Radharani's feet from krishna.com about a month ago... of course he is a man, and totally forgot until I reminded him a few days ago. I suspected I wasn't getting my pendant. then he kind of acted like I wasn't going to get much of anything. I was just hoping it was going to be a nice surprise.

so when he came home from work he surprised me with a cute little ice cream cake made with my favorite type of ice cream. yum. then he told me to wait in the kitchen while he went to go get my present. as he was leaving the room he said, "don't cry this year, ok?" (that's a long story, but one year I cried because my birthday sucked so bad...) kind of making it seem like he completely forgot. so he brings in this little mushy package... I open it up and it's a pair of leprachaun socks. WTF?!?!!?!? I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Honey, you better go back into that room and get me my real present stat!" He started laughing, and noticing that I was about to start crying he brought me to my real presents....first madhavi got me this really cute india-looking frame from target. then I got a nice floral print that matches my bathroom. my husband picked out a nice pair of earrings and told me that yes, he had indeed forgotten about the Lotus Feet pendant, but it was on it's way (I knew it!). then he let me open my last gift... you know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"... well, here it is:

my husband painted this most amazing watercolor portrait of Srimati Radharani and the gopi's for me... a complete and beautiful surprise. I've been begging him for months to make me a Radha and the Gopi's painting, but he kept insisting that he didn't have the ability, it wasn't his bhava, etc.... but he did it for me, and it's soooooooo beautiful. I love it so much.

don't get me wrong, I'm not all about presents. I'm indulging a little bit here because my life has been so crazy with work and school lately that I hard get to think about anything else. I like the devotee idea of birthdays being about giving to others, but again, as always, I am still human and like to receive. and come on people, who wouldn't love to get that painting as a gift?!?

my husband also made this clay relief for one of the classes he's taking this semester, so I thought I'd throw this in as well.

when madhavi saw how much I loved my husband's painting, she spontaneously decided she wanted to make me a krishna painting too... so she grabbed a piece of poster board and created this very sdg-esque painting...

all-in-all 29 isn't treating me bad so far. I can't say I'm looking forward to next year, but that's life, right?

4 comments:

Devadeva dasi said...

happy happy belated birthday! your husband's artwork is wonderful..what a great present. and i love how the gopis tending srimati radhika look like...you! that reminds me of the russian gopis at gita nagari!

we missed you at vp...kiriti and i took it back to 1998, busting the nordic track. go swami!

Jahnavi said...

hehe what a great birthday! I always think handmade presents are SO much better than any others - even leprechaun socks :) Did you get your little feet yet? I love those feet, I have the Krsna's feet pendant and I am so so attached to it. I really want to try and get it made eventually in a better quality material, or something. I don't know how yours will be when you get them but I bought mine in alachua at the krishna.com warehouse - I picked what seemed like a very good pair but even after only about six months, the silver was really flaking/wearing away on the back of the feet and it's much worse now.

kmala said...

deva....I remind you of russians???? I don't know whether that's a complement or, or, I don't even know :)

jahnavi... you should bring your pendant to vraj with you... I'm sure you could get a better one made. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm a little bit sad to hear the quality might not be so good. oh well...

kmala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.