1.23.2008

what dreams may come... or something cheesy like that.

the other day I was on the phone with a friend and she asked me what I planned to do once I finished school... or actually, a step further, just plain what the heck did I want to do with the rest of my life. ultimately, I don't want to be a school counselor. I like being in the public education system because the benefits are good and I more or less have the same daily schedule as madhavi. but now the state is changing our benefits, and soon they will suck ass (yea, that harsh). and really, who the heck wants to be a guidance counselor? I used to think I wanted that - to just sit behind and desk and push papers.... but once I got started in my counseling MA program, I realized I really want to be a counselor - but a real counselor, one that actually counsels - not does student scheduling and college applications. that's not to say that school counselors don't counsel at all, but I think for the most part it's the crap work that no one wants to do, like scholarships and recommendations.

most of my life I have felt like one day I would like to have my own business. the other day while I was blow drying my hair I had this crazy daydream about having my own tea shop. that's all I would sell... tea. ok, maybe I would expand to sandwhiches and cake. but just simple. yummy tea. hot or cold. but then I thought that wouldn't be very lucrative, and while I want to do something I will enjoy, I need to make a little bit of money. plus, like I said, I want to be a counselor. maybe I should save the tea shop for when I retire.

I've also been thinking that I'd like to eventually go into private practice as a therapist and partner with others to open a full service holistic healing center. a mind/body/soul type of place. I would be the counselor, but I would also have yoga, and accupunture, and chinese medicine, and ayurveda, and massage, and spiritual stuff (that would be where the old spiritual espionage would come in to play...) and hey, maybe my dream tea shop could be attached to this little place. it would be all about helping people find balance - treating the whole person so to speak.
so what do you think? personally, I think a place like this would be all about location. if I stay in nj it would have to be like princeton, or red bank, or westfield. somewhere super ritzy, where people don't care if they are paying $125 an hour for me to listen to them talk. or whatever.
I need a catchy name too. the first think that popped into my head was "pranayam holistic health center" but I don't know how I like that...I'm not sure how the meaning fits in. any suggestions?

I ate a lot of cookies today. that made me a little bit depressed. then I said to myself (as madhavi so nicely coined) "don't be ridiculous, be fabulous!" so then I went to the gym (where I haven't been for like 6 months, even though I pay regardless of my attendance) and spent 55 minutes on the treadmill. I felt super good after that. it's funny how it's really hard to get to the gym, but once I'm there, I think, "why the heck don't I do this all of the time?!?!" so I want to try harder...both to stop eating too many cookies (which starts with not buying them!) and to get to the gym more.

my first class starts tomorrow. I feel the spring semester vortex opening and beginning to swallow me. sigh.

4 comments:

John Corney said...

The above photo of the lotus blossom is by John Corney. You can view John's photography at his photoblog

kmala said...

um, yeah. weird.

The Eternal Day said...

Hmm...so you're saying YOU bought the cookies...interesting. So it wasn't some sort of "crap" food that I bought? Interesting.

By the way, I like your ideas, but I think you should open a shop of spices. Then you could be the mistress of spices and you could recommened different spices to different customers to help them...wait...this sounds familiar.

By the way, I think you've upset John Corney.

Devadeva dasi said...

tea shop sounds good. i was totally thinking red bank as the locale.

there is a guy i know who's wife has a tea shop in carlise (you can google it). it is open only a few days a week, there is a set lunch by appt and she has a gift shop (more reasons to go shopping in india!). also, she does private parties and showers. i think she also has a collection of odd hats that people can wear while drinking tea. you may not want to go that route ;)

if you would like to develop a private lable jam line for your tea shop, give me a call.